Hughesair (Inflection Point)

Retired physician and air taxi operator, science writer and part time assistant professor, these editorials cover a wide range of topics. Mostly non political, mostly true, I write more from a lifetime of experience and from research, more science than convention. Subjects cover medicine, Alaska aviation, economics, technology and an occasional book review. Globalization or Democracy documents the historical roots of Oligarchy, the road to colonialism and tyranny

My Photo
Name:
Location: Homer, Alaska, United States

Alaska Floatplane: AVAILABLE ON KINDLE

Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Honda Civic Hybrid gas milage

Re: The class action suit

From my experience, this claim seems spurious. I have nothing to do with the plaintiff or the Honda Motor Company, but I do have extensive experience with my 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid with 64,200 mi in Alaska.
First, I still get 51mpg but only under ideal conditions. Ideal conditions are reasonable: summer driving, level smooth dry highway with little or no obstructing traffic or stops. It goes without saying that one must use the specified premium fuel and 0-20 weight oil preferably synthetic. In addition, tire pressure must be as specified or higher along with appropriate summer tires. Snow tires will not do it. The air dam must still be in place and the full-length aerodynamic pan beneath the undercarriage.  Wind resistance degrades milage severely above 55mph and with a headwind.

Secondly, the Honda gives me 50mpg under these conditions between 55 and 60 mph in summer driving. I get 47mpg if I push it to 65-70. Town driving yields 39-43 in the summer with the hill climb. I live on a 850 ft. hill which also degrades my milage going to town.
Alaska winter is another story. Most people fail to consider the increased horsepower and thus fuel consumption at colder temperatures.  The added power is noticeable and so is the higher fuel consumption. Rain, snow, gravel or ice degrades milage considerably as do winter tires, oversize tires and studs.  In winter, I will get 43 mpg highway and 35 mpg in town including the hill climb. These numbers are still achievable after the change in computer setting to preserve battery life.

 I do not consider this a failure to experience the published HCH milage at all but rather expected changes due to conditions.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home